Most of us don’t include “work to end cancer” on our to-do list. Somewhere lost in the jumble of donations and marathons, getting involved in charity work can be an overwhelming task. Whether it be the cashier wearing a pink ribbon pinned to her shirt or the donation jar at Publix, we are constantly exposed to the commonly accepted societal standard to contribute to the less fortunate. With Breast Cancer Awareness Month in full swing, it is more important than ever to get involved in helping the community. Luckily, local walks, galas, and kickbacks are constantly taking place around us. It is only a matter of seeking out and attending them that stands in the way of getting involved. So, here are a few ways to make a difference during Breast Cancer Awareness Month:
- Paint the Park: This celebration is held every day at Mizner Park throughout October. All proceeds go directly to Boca Raton Research Hospital for breast cancer services. The nighttime celebration flashes pink lights throughout the park, symbolizing hope and a bright future.
- Attend a walk: On Saturday, Oct. 27, there will be a walk held in 104 Datura St., West Palm Beach; a walk held in Huizenga Plaza, 32 E. Las Olas Blvd., Fort Lauderdale.; and a walk held in Marlins Park, 501 Marlins Way, Miami.
- October’s favorite fashion show: Designers, including Stevie G and Tyni Kidz Couture, will attend a fashion show Oct. 27 to display their pieces inspired by women who have overcome and continue to battle breast cancer. Ticket prices range from $45 to $65 with all proceeds donated towards Tyra B for Breast Cancer. The show is located in 101 N. Ocean Drive, suite 132, Hollywood Beach.
- Get ready for a tea party: The Miami Gardens City Hall Courtyard will be hosting a tea party Oct. 28 from 1:30 to 4:00 pm. Admission is $30 per person and all proceeds are donated to local cancer foundations. The tea party will include live entertainment by Valerie Tyson Band.
- Attend a luncheon: If outdoor activities aren’t for you, don’t fret. Marriott Hotel Heron Bay at 11775 Heron Bay Blvd., Coral Springs is hosting a luncheon and opening up a shopping boutique Oct. 29 from 10 am to 2 pm. Tickets begin at $100 per person and continue to $125 per person for VIPink passes. All proceeds are donated towards local cancer foundations.
- Put a twist on your Halloween traditions: Mizner Park will be holding a Halloween celebration Oct. 30 from 4 to 7 p.m. Here, pink glow-in-the-dark accessories and goody bags are handed out to show support. A monster mash dance party hosted by artNEST will also take place.